Darwin, my other home
I have just arrived back from Darwin, that beautiful 'city' surrounded by tropical waters. It was my second trip there, and I have fallen even more in love with it. There is something about both the place and the people that really connects with me and I feel incredibly comfortable there.

Part of the reason for the trip was to transport a car to Darwin from Adelaide. For the record, it is quite possible to do the trip in two and a half days, and there's really no reason to stop along the way except for petrol and sleep. Actually every little town and roadhouse along the way has something unique about it. Glendambo has prickles like nowhere else on earth. Coober Pedy has all its underground in neat white piles on top of the ground. Kulgera has oppressive heat and matching fuel prices. Mataranka has warm springs to go swimming in near the end of the journey and Adelaide River has a train that is 'off the rails'.
Mostly the trip was about seeing my dear friends, Ang & Dave, and catching up with a few other Darwinites, as well as having some 'me' time. I found that being away from Adelaide and all the everyday doings meant that I had lots of time to get in touch with scary things like emotions and other stuff going on inside of me. In truth, it was a wonderful holiday and a very painful time, all rolled in to one. God certainly made himself known through pain though, and I am immensely grateful for that.
I won't forget canoeing past a croc trap on one of the most beautiful waterways I have seen. I won't forget fishing on Darwin Harbour with Ray. I won't forget the fireworks at the first Mindil Beach markets of the year. There are many precious memories that I won't let go of, and I will be back there, sooner rather than later I hope.

Part of the reason for the trip was to transport a car to Darwin from Adelaide. For the record, it is quite possible to do the trip in two and a half days, and there's really no reason to stop along the way except for petrol and sleep. Actually every little town and roadhouse along the way has something unique about it. Glendambo has prickles like nowhere else on earth. Coober Pedy has all its underground in neat white piles on top of the ground. Kulgera has oppressive heat and matching fuel prices. Mataranka has warm springs to go swimming in near the end of the journey and Adelaide River has a train that is 'off the rails'.
Mostly the trip was about seeing my dear friends, Ang & Dave, and catching up with a few other Darwinites, as well as having some 'me' time. I found that being away from Adelaide and all the everyday doings meant that I had lots of time to get in touch with scary things like emotions and other stuff going on inside of me. In truth, it was a wonderful holiday and a very painful time, all rolled in to one. God certainly made himself known through pain though, and I am immensely grateful for that.
I won't forget canoeing past a croc trap on one of the most beautiful waterways I have seen. I won't forget fishing on Darwin Harbour with Ray. I won't forget the fireworks at the first Mindil Beach markets of the year. There are many precious memories that I won't let go of, and I will be back there, sooner rather than later I hope.
2 Comments:
I've heard it said that some people can leave the Territory but the Territory never leaves them. I've even heard it said that for some, the Territory won't let them leave...
It is a powerful place. It has it's challenges - probably because it is such a powerful place.
Was so good to have you here mate -there'll always be more of it to explore... Perhaps we'll enjoy some more exciting adventures!!
I hope the adventures never end! And I hope it's not too long between them... Loking forward to seeing you next...
Post a Comment
<< Home