Distractions...
Ever noticed how many distractions there are in the world? Of course you have!
Seriously- there are so many things I want to do when I get up every day. There's not enough time to do them all. Then other things crop up during the day. I need to do homework. I need to prepare food. I want to have the time to check emails and put out the bins. I still have to wash the dishes. When I have money, I'm trying to make it stretch. When I don't have money, everything I want to buy is out for 75% off. I feel really content to be single - every other day. I try to recall which of my assignments is due next, and which requires me to line someone up for a mock-counselling session. I need to remember who I've promised to visit tomorrow, and what tools I promised I would bring to do the job I was going to do. I managed to remember to record Peter Brock's funeral for my bro, and nearly missed today's lecture as a consequence. I'm waiting on confirmation of a new bank account as well as parcels and mail. When each of them comes, there will be more paperwork and running around to do.
I like to live one day at a time and complete one task before I start another. It just doesn't seem possible. I like to feel like I have time to breathe and I also like to feel productive and I like to invest in my relationships with people that mean the world to me. I'm not sure if I'm managing to meet any of those objectives at the moment. Well, it's late, so off to wash dishes, read my Bible, play some bass and guitar.
Ever get the feeling that life wasn't meant to be this hectic?
Seriously- there are so many things I want to do when I get up every day. There's not enough time to do them all. Then other things crop up during the day. I need to do homework. I need to prepare food. I want to have the time to check emails and put out the bins. I still have to wash the dishes. When I have money, I'm trying to make it stretch. When I don't have money, everything I want to buy is out for 75% off. I feel really content to be single - every other day. I try to recall which of my assignments is due next, and which requires me to line someone up for a mock-counselling session. I need to remember who I've promised to visit tomorrow, and what tools I promised I would bring to do the job I was going to do. I managed to remember to record Peter Brock's funeral for my bro, and nearly missed today's lecture as a consequence. I'm waiting on confirmation of a new bank account as well as parcels and mail. When each of them comes, there will be more paperwork and running around to do.
I like to live one day at a time and complete one task before I start another. It just doesn't seem possible. I like to feel like I have time to breathe and I also like to feel productive and I like to invest in my relationships with people that mean the world to me. I'm not sure if I'm managing to meet any of those objectives at the moment. Well, it's late, so off to wash dishes, read my Bible, play some bass and guitar.
Ever get the feeling that life wasn't meant to be this hectic?
5 Comments:
Distractions...or should it be priorities.
I know what your talking about man, essay now or bible, visit family or friends, sport or dishes, food or work??
SO much to be done, and sometimes you dont feel like you're getting anywhere.
I'm making a list, and checking it twice, and scrubbing off all the crap that isnt vitally important.
(Does that mean i'll have a dirty house now with dishes piled up???)
Too hard basket, go hard for God and i'll rest in Heaven!
I exactly understand what you mean. HOWEVER, as someone who's job it is to not only be organised myself, but to organise others also, I find there's a few simple tricks. Whilst they don't help with feelings of contentedness or anything like that, they do help the day to day living part.
Firstly and foremost, don't be afraid to keep a comprehensive diary. Schedule everything. If you plan to do something, write it in along with any other details you need, like if you need to bring a plate of food, or if you need to be there 15 minutes early to help set something up. And as part of this, don't be afraid to schedule in time to input into others lives. Relationships are only productive when we have time to set aside to grow them. I don't simply pass my husband in the hall a few times each morning and expect that to count as a meaningful relationship! We schedule time together, we schedule time with friends, and we schedule time by ourselves. If I didn't have a diary, I would never be able to sort out my life, I'd be so busy trying to remember what I'm meant to be doing that I'd never get anything done!
Secondly, there is no easy solution to having no money. However, I've found that in order to be content with this, I really need to re-think priorities. Instead of looking at all the things I can't afford to buy and being upset about it, I chose to dwell on the blessings in my life that are nothing to do with money!
With the money we do have, we budget EXTREMELY carefully. We budget for the bills, the shopping, the fun stuff, we even budget for incidentals like presents for birthdays and christmas. It's not hard to do when you really sit down and work it out. And it's a wonderful way to see if you are living above your means. If the amount you 'need' in your budget each week is higher than the amount you actually get, then it's time to work out exactly what you need to cut out or stop doing.
Organising your life isn't hard to do, it just requires some dedication to initially get it right. Once that's done, you'll find it all falls into place pretty easily. Yes, there are times when unexpected things pop up and you do find yourself desperatley trying to fit things in, but it's happens far less often that you would expect.
... And you still have time to blog ... consider this!
For every minute you spend in study there is another person in the world sharing there only book between there brothers and sisters!
Yeah I know I used to hate that stuff.. eat up your tea, causing someones starving in India stuff! But over I have come to find what it is about! Its not about doing (which is the worlds of Judging ourselves against others) its about being (which God's way of finding those who belong to him).. Read the Martha and Mary's story Luke 10:38-42 (probably not seen as a story that men would normally take heed to!) Sure we want to do things For Christ ...and we want work for the joy of what he has given us! But sometimes we need to get out Kitchen and be at the feet of Jesus and being what Christ wants us to be, he doesn't see us as unfinished business, he just wants us to be there!
just simplify... be involved in less things..see less people....... buy less things....work less...have enough time to wak or catch a bus instead of driving...
and...do things u like.......dont stress out if you dont get something done, or if u do have to cancel.. just take each day at a time and chill and spend lots of time doing whatever it is that connects you with God, including some bible time..... and everything else will fall into place......if your seeking first the Kingdom of God everything else falls into place and doesnt feel so busy.............................
although thinking back to me diary its a mess of names and times and reminders....but i dont feel busy.........
Thanks to all so far for the responses to this one. It's nice to know I'm not alone and also good to know that there are practical things that have helped others- things I can implement for myself.
I think maybe getting a proper diary together is the next step. Seems to work for others! God bless ya all, and thanks.
Post a Comment
<< Home