Making Indecisions

A little about me. If you're reading this blog you probably already know who I am and some of what I do. I've decided to create this as a means of expressing some of the strange dreams, thoughts and aspirations that run through my head from time to time...

Friday, September 08, 2006

Peter Brock killed

I know many of my readers aren't as passionate about motorsport as I am, but I want to take a moment to pay tribute to this great man.

Peter Brock was one of my great inspirations and heroes growing up, because he followed his passions regardless of what others thought of him. This showed most strongly in his work with motorsport, having been in some form of motor racing for most of his life, and being crowned 'King of the Mountain', having won the Bathurst round of what is now the V8 Supercar series nine times. Since his retirement from V8's, he had participated in many tarmac and off-road rallies all over the country, as well as being a regular at other events great and small. I feel priveleged that in my life time I have had the chance to meet my hero, as he had participated in several of the Classic Adelaide events.

Aside from motorsport, Peter put a lot of effort into road safety campaigns, encouraging and investing in young people, as well as setting up the Peter Brock foundation. He was interviewed on Andrew Denton's Enough Rope on July 18, 2005 and his response to Andrew's questions about him wanting to help young people into the future speaks volumes of his character-

"I'd hopefully like to be able to encourage people to do that work themselves and I could see myself necessarily doing a lot of this stuff personally. I'd like to be the instigator, if you like, or the facilitator or something like that, but I don't believe that I want to be all things to all people at all."

He died today, when the car he was competing in struck a tree, during the Targa West rally, on the north-eastern outskirts of Perth.

Rest In Peace - Peter Brock - 26.2.1945 - 8.9.2006

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toby, he's my hero too! but Ive never met him. Isn't it interesting that we as australians are learning to deal with public greif all very suddenly but nonetheless profoundly! in India when Gandhi Died the whole coiuntry and economy had stopped! Pandit Nehru said .... "Friends and Comrades, the light has gone out of our lives and there is darkness everywhere. I do not know what to tell you and how to say it. Our beloved leader, Bapu as we call him, the Father of the Nation, is no more. Perhaps I am wrong to say that. Nevertheless, we will not see him again as we have seen him for these many years. We will not run to him for advice and seek solace from him, and that is a terrible blow, not to me only but to millions and millions of this country."... One can understand the devastation and confusion of the disciples after Jesus died! I felt this week the world had stopped albeit for a while and that I wondered how things could continue? The message of both Peter and also Steve is that things do continue and that it is not alegacy but a gift of devotion and passion. The sad thing is that we only realise these things and celebrate only when someones gone! wouldn't it be good to give someone their glowing eulogy before they spring the mortal coil !?
As our Lord said, We need to encourage one another!

13 Sept 2006, 8:04:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home