The true nature of Manhood?
I found this quote recently in a book I was reading, and thought it made an interesting point. What do others think?
"Years ago, manhood was an opportunity for achievement, and now it is a problem to be overcome. . . They are trying to be Mr OK All-Rite, the man who can bake a cherry pie, go play basketball, come home, make melon balls and whip up a great souffle, converse easily about intimate matters, participate in recreational weeping, laugh, hug, be vulnerable, be passionate in a skillful way, and the next day go off and lift them bales into that barge and tote it. A guy who women consider acceptable."
-Keillor, G 1993, The book of guys, Viking Press, p. 11
"Years ago, manhood was an opportunity for achievement, and now it is a problem to be overcome. . . They are trying to be Mr OK All-Rite, the man who can bake a cherry pie, go play basketball, come home, make melon balls and whip up a great souffle, converse easily about intimate matters, participate in recreational weeping, laugh, hug, be vulnerable, be passionate in a skillful way, and the next day go off and lift them bales into that barge and tote it. A guy who women consider acceptable."
-Keillor, G 1993, The book of guys, Viking Press, p. 11
Labels: Expectation, Manhood, Opinion
2 Comments:
for one, I don't like souffle...
How about a man that is able to be real - even about the need to be a man - to go out and be rough and tough, yet at the inner core belong to God and have an element of depth of heart that is somehow able to be shared.
Somehow, as a woman I yearn for a man who is not afraid to be all that God has created him to be - believing that it will be somehow a paradoxical combination of strength and gentleness.
If he likes to cook, great. If he likes to jump off cliffs - that's fine too ... but he better come home to kiss the kids goodnight!
bring on a utopian society????? heaven maybe?
Hi- Thanks for the comment, Anon. I think you have struck on something here. The quote I posted described what our world THINKS it wants from men, what men feel it demands from them. By trying to do all and be all, us men will obviously fall short and feel disappointed, and so will any woman who expects such things from us.
I have male friends, for example, that no nothing about fixing cars. I've seen them desperately try and grasp mechanical principles, not because they have an interest, but because they feel they SHOULD know in order to be a proper 'man'.
What you have described, I believe, is the core value(s) BEHIND what the world thinks it wants from men. To step into this God-given strength AND gentleness gives us opportunities to be as diverse as our abilities and giftings permit, without having us jump through ill-fitting hoops to feel acceptable.
Thank again for your comment!
Post a Comment
<< Home