Witnessing a birth
Although I have been unwell for over a week, I was able to get out a few nights ago to have dinner with some friends, and to enjoy some music.
One of the friends happens to be incredibly good at playing piano, and had asked me to bring some of my songs along. Now, most of my songs didn't sound that great to my ear. They clearly weren't finished. I had the vocals sorted out, and I had a basic chord structure, but they were a long way from done.
After dinner we sat down by the piano, plugged in the guitar and started playing around with them. I had never even considered what my songs would sound like with piano because most of the musical people around me use guitars as their primary instrument. It was amazing! It was like witnessing something being born. All of a sudden the songs had a depth and quality to them that I had never expected them to have. I even got a lesson in musical theory and terminology, which was fascinating because I had never bothered myself with the technical aspects of music. And I managed to confound my pianist with one of my songs, which is written in multiple keys.
I'm still hanging out to record them- maybe when I get my voice back...
One of the friends happens to be incredibly good at playing piano, and had asked me to bring some of my songs along. Now, most of my songs didn't sound that great to my ear. They clearly weren't finished. I had the vocals sorted out, and I had a basic chord structure, but they were a long way from done.
After dinner we sat down by the piano, plugged in the guitar and started playing around with them. I had never even considered what my songs would sound like with piano because most of the musical people around me use guitars as their primary instrument. It was amazing! It was like witnessing something being born. All of a sudden the songs had a depth and quality to them that I had never expected them to have. I even got a lesson in musical theory and terminology, which was fascinating because I had never bothered myself with the technical aspects of music. And I managed to confound my pianist with one of my songs, which is written in multiple keys.
I'm still hanging out to record them- maybe when I get my voice back...
2 Comments:
its good to hear that your musical plans are starting to take shape. you never know one day it could be a chart topping single...
Possibly, but I'm not counting on it!
The interesting thing is that, even though I've always been involved with music in some way, I never expected to write or produce songs or anything like that. It's very much an activity-on-the-side, so it will be interesting to see what comes of it!
Post a Comment
<< Home