Looking forward, looking back
It's one of those things you hear stories about, read chain-mail about, but don't often get to see for yourself. I was sitting here in the office, watching the world go by when I noticed a man walking down the street outside. What grabbed my attention was the fact that he was looking behind him as he walked.. not to the side, or toward the ground, but a full 180 degrees behind!
I went to the door and looked in the direction of his gaze to see what could be so engaging, but there was nothing there. I turned back to this guy, who was still walking, with his head still turned, looking straight behind him. While I was trying to work out how he even knew which direction to walk, I saw him quickly turn his head to face the way he was walking.
At the same time he jumped acrobatically from the road to the footpath, and missed being hit by a truck by what must only have been a few inches. It wasn't a small truck, and I don't think it was a particularly quiet truck. But something that was behind him had claimed his attention so fiercely, that he was oblivious to the fact that he was walking into an oncoming vehicle until it was very nearly too late.
What a metaphor, what a reminder! Knowing where we have been is important; it's often the reason for our journey. But if our eyes are fixed behind us, we're oblivious to dangers in front of us, and totally unprepared for what is to come.
So what is it that you and I might be missing when we're not looking forward?
I went to the door and looked in the direction of his gaze to see what could be so engaging, but there was nothing there. I turned back to this guy, who was still walking, with his head still turned, looking straight behind him. While I was trying to work out how he even knew which direction to walk, I saw him quickly turn his head to face the way he was walking.
At the same time he jumped acrobatically from the road to the footpath, and missed being hit by a truck by what must only have been a few inches. It wasn't a small truck, and I don't think it was a particularly quiet truck. But something that was behind him had claimed his attention so fiercely, that he was oblivious to the fact that he was walking into an oncoming vehicle until it was very nearly too late.
What a metaphor, what a reminder! Knowing where we have been is important; it's often the reason for our journey. But if our eyes are fixed behind us, we're oblivious to dangers in front of us, and totally unprepared for what is to come.
So what is it that you and I might be missing when we're not looking forward?
Labels: metaphor, philosophy
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home